Division of Property

In recent years, more than 60% of California marriages have ended in divorce. If you have questions about how California law may address the issues in your marriage, contact a California family law attorney.

Experienced Los Angeles, California, Divorce Attorney

Divorce in California is unlike any other state. Your attorney will need experience and skills working with judges and executing court procedures properly. The lawyers of Feinberg & Waller provide a full range of divorce and family law services based on experience and skilled preparation. Under the direction of California board-certified family law specialist Marshall Waller, our lawyers have earned recognition for helping our clients protect their interests in divorces that often include complex financial settlements, spousal support and child custody arrangements.

Our firm Link to Firm Overview page serves the family law needs of communities throughout the Los Angeles metro region. We invite you to learn more about California divorce on this page. Contact us to schedule a consultation at our Calabasas or Beverly Hills offices.

Feinberg & Waller
A Professional Corporation

Thank you for contacting Feinberg & Waller, APC. Your message has been sent.

Call us now

or use the form below.

In California, divorce is handled differently than in any other state. Your attorney will need to understand exactly what judges expect. Feinberg & Waller has the experience you need.

Senior attorney Marshall Waller is a California Family Law Specialist. Your divorce settlement will affect your future for many years. Rely on experience.

Division of Property

Because classification of property and its division can become one of the most contentious issues in a divorce, seek the advice and assistance of a California dissolution of marriage attorney familiar with the particulars of California community property law. The lawyers of Feinberg & Waller in Calabasas have the experience to help you.

Community property

California is a community property state. California defines community property as all that property, both real and personal, which a married person living in the state acquires during the marriage. This includes property that is located outside the state as well as within the state. With the exception of separate property, no matter how property is titled, and, in the case of income, no matter who earned it, if it is acquired during the marriage it is considered part of the marital community estate.

Upon dissolution of the marriage, community property, absent an agreement to the contrary between the parties, is divided equally between them. However, an absolute equal division of each asset would not be possible or even reasonable in many cases. For example, to achieve an equal division of every asset would require sale of each asset and division of the proceeds. For many families, forcing the sale of the family residence at the time of the dissolution can cause disruption to the family and result in even more inequity than awarding the residence to one spouse while awarding another asset of equal value to the other spouse. As a result, valuation of assets may become one of the major points of dispute between parties.

Separate property

California law sets out exceptions to what is included in the marital community estate. The exceptions include property acquired by a spouse prior to the marriage and property acquired by a spouse during the marriage by gift or inheritance. The rents, proceeds or profits generated by separate property are also treated as separate property.

Mixed property

While it is usually clear what is and is not considered community property, disputes often arise over the classification of property. The classification of property can change during the course of the marriage. For instance, one spouse may own a home prior to marriage. After marriage, however, the home becomes the family residence, mortgage payments are made from income acquired during the marriage, the home is refinanced and several improvements and updates are made. It is likely the home would no longer be considered separate property and would be divided as an asset of the community estate.

Marital agreements

Spouses or prospective spouses may make agreements as to the classification of property both prior to the marriage and at the time of dissolution.

Prenuptial agreements

In California, agreements made prior to marriage are called prenuptial agreements and must conform to certain requirements that protect either party from coercion to enter into an unfair agreement. For instance, the parties must each be represented by independent counsel or must have waived in a separate writing the right to have independent counsel.

The use of prenuptial agreements is becoming more common. This is true not only in situations where the parties may have large estates acquired prior to marriage, but also in the instance of spouses who have children from prior relationships. A couple contemplating marriage, each of whom has children from a prior marriage, may wish to ensure that their own children receive their rightful share of the property.

Postnuptial agreements

Married couples may also make agreements, called postnuptial agreement, regarding the classification of property subsequent to their marriage. Enforcement of such an agreement, if disputed, will likely hinge on the validity of the agreement; whether it appears that the parties each had full disclosure of assets, whether there is any evidence of duress and whether the agreement is fair to both parties.

Contact a dissolution of marriage lawyer

In complex situations such as dissolution of marriage, the resolution of a property classification dispute requires the assistance of legal counsel experienced in California community property law. The family law attorneys at Feinberg & Waller in Calabasas can assist you in resolving your property division issues.

Copyright © 2017 FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters

DISCLAIMER: This site and any information contained herein are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Seek competent legal counsel for advice on any legal matter.

Back to Main