I thought I wanted sole custody of our children, but now that I have them all of the time I'm finding it impossible to manage them and make a living, what can I do?

Many single parents find that full custody can be a full-time job. It can become stressful to the point where it may seem impossible to manage. You cannot impose involvement upon your spouse without a court order, and if you already fought for full legal custody, things can become complicated. However, it is important to ensure that your children receive the best upbringing possible, as well as maintain the quality of your life. A stable environment can be a firm foundation for your family as you navigate your new family structure together. Talk to your spouse about increased involvement in your children's lives, explaining your concerns clearly and calmly. If they seem unresponsive to helping voluntarily, legal action may be necessary. 

Sometimes financial relief can help alleviate stress from an overload of responsibility. An appropriate award of child support is a common possible solution to this problem. Extra funds can help ease the burden of balancing work and parenting, even allowing a switch to part-time work in some cases. Contact a divorce lawyer if you need legal support.

Personal involvement can be a little more complicated. If you are hoping to switch from full custody to joint or part-time custody, ask to your spouse if they are willing to share the responsibility of parenting. If your spouse has no desire to be involved in caring for your children on a full- or part-time basis then court involvement is likely the best solution. Contact divorce attorneys to help you navigate the legal avenues to better management of parenting responsibilities. Make it clear that you are experiencing difficulty providing for your family financially and caring for the kids full time with little co-parental support at the same time. You can petition for increased child support, request financial coverage on a babysitter, or work with your lawyer to find the best legal solution for you and your family. Whatever you decide, divorce attorneys can help present your case to the judge that you cannot be expected to handle the majority of parenting responsibilities without fair compensation from your spouse.

  • AV Preeminent Martindale Hubbell lawyers Ratings State Bar Of California | California Board of Legal Specialization Ventura County  bar association | Est. 1928 The State Bar of California Beverly Hills Bar Association ABA Defending Liberty Pursuing Justice
  • San Fernando Valley Bar Association LACBA | Los Angeles County Bar Association Avvo Super lawyers
  • TLC | Los Angeles | Trial Lawyers Charities AAML

Contact Us for a Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Contact Information

Feinberg & Waller, APC
23501 Park Sorrento
Calabasas, CA 91302

Phone: 818-462-8408
Map & Directions

Feinberg & Waller, APC
433 N Camden Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Phone: 818-462-8408
Map & Directions

Click to View Offices