Certified Family Law Specialists
Experience You Need in Los Angeles and Ventura County
Not all family law cases are equal. If your case involves complex elements such as valuable assets or unique circumstances, finding a lawyer capable of adequately protecting your rights and interests may be challenging.
At Feinberg & Waller, APC, we're proud to offer the services of certified family law specialists. To become certified, an attorney must adhere to rigorous performance standards and remain up-to-date with the latest trends in family law. Please view standards of certification.
What Does Being a Certified Family Law Specialist Mean?
To become a certified family law specialist, an attorney must:
- Take an exam. The State Bar of California administers an exam to individuals who wish to become certified family law specialists that tests their knowledge of current family laws and legal best practices in California.
- Be experienced in family law. Prospective specialists must demonstrate a high level of experience to the State Bar by consistently participating in family law disputes and obtaining favorable results for clients.
- Complete continuing education. An attorney must take at least 45 hours’ worth of continuing education in a specialty practice area to achieve certification.
- Obtain recommendations from peers and colleagues. Finally, other attorneys and judges who work with a prospective specialist must provide favorable reviews of their work in and out of the courtroom.
In addition to meeting these requirements, many prospective specialists also make a conscious effort to contribute to their communities through activities such as pro bono work.
After an attorney takes the exam, the State Bar reviews the above factors to determine whether that lawyer should receive status as a certified family law specialist. Becoming a certified family law specialist indicates an attorney's devotion to continually improving their work and steadily accumulating legal knowledge.
The Benefits of Working with a Certified Family Law Specialist (CFLS)
Obtaining CFLS status indicates several things about an attorney:
- They have experience in the field. If you work with a CFLS, you don't need to worry about whether your case is in inexperienced hands.
- They're recognized positively by their colleagues. Having a lawyer who has a positive relationship with judges and other attorneys can help your case.
- They're up-to-date on best practices. Certified family law specialists need to remain ahead of the curve, so you know you're getting accurate legal advice.
- They know how to implement different strategies. A CFLS may be more comfortable utilizing a different strategy for your case than other types of attorneys.
- They understand how to handle complex cases. A CFLS typically has years or decades handling complicated family law disputes such as high-asset divorce, business valuation, and more. They can handle the complexities of your dispute.
At Feinberg & Waller, APC, we're proud to have three certified family law specialists, associate attorneys and a dedicated general counsel on our team. Our lawyers work with each other to develop effective case strategies and work towards positive outcomes for our clients.