Beverly Hills Office: 310-627-2488 Calabasas Office: 818-918-4408 Westlake Village Office: 805-273-8978 Call Now to Get Started: 844-252-1140
Modifications Exclusivity in Practice. Integrity in Performance. Results-Driven Divorce Attorneys.

Calabasas Modifications Lawyers

Helping Clients Request Modifications of Custody & Child Support Orders in Los Angeles and Ventura County

As life moves on post-divorce or family law case, it's not uncommon for court orders to become outdated. If you or another party involved in a court order experience a substantial change in circumstances, filing an order modification case can help you modify the terms of court-ordered child support or custody to suit your needs.

At Feinberg & Waller, our experienced Calabasas modifications attorneys have over five decades of combined experience helping clients modify court orders.

Schedule a consultation with our team – contact us online or
via phone at (844) 252-1140!
We have offices in Beverly Hills, Calabasas & Westlake Village.

What Is a Court Order Modification?

Filing an order modification case enables you to adjust the terms of a currently existing court order, making upholding said order more manageable for one or both parties.

Generally, there are two ways to modify a child custody or child/spousal support order:

  1. File an agreed modification. Suppose you and the other party agree an order needs to be modified and concur on how to modify it. In that case, you can draft an agreement (with the help of attorneys or a mediator) detailing how you'd like to change the order. If a court approves the proposed modifications, it can sign the agreement, finalizing your case.
  2. File a contested modification. If you and the other party disagree about modifying an order, you need to file an order modification case with the court. Both parties must appear in court. After hearing evidence from each party, the court will decide whether to modify the existing agreement.

Why Would I File for a Modification of Child Support or Child Custody?

Generally, people file for an order modification due to one of the following reasons:

  • One of the parties loses their job or experiences a substantial change in income, making the income amount listed in the court order irrelevant to the current circumstances of one or both parties;
  • One party becomes incarcerated;
  • A party remarries;
  • A party becomes involves in another court order;
  • If a child is involved, their needs have changed, and a new support or custody order may suit them better;
  • State law mandates using different factors to calculate spousal or child support.

If you're considering filing for an order modification, a Calabasas modifications attorney can help you determine whether to proceed with your case (and the best way to do so).

Modifying a Family Law Order in California

The process of filing a family law order - whether it be a custody or spousal/child support order - is fairly similar. Most order modifications require the party seeking a modification to take the following steps:

  • Fill out order modification forms. These will detail the type of order you want to modify and your reasoning for filing the order. You can work with a modifications attorney to fill out the paperwork.
  • File a modification case with the court. A court clerk can take the forms from you and give you a court date for your case.
  • Serve the other party with a copy of the modifications order. A third party must complete the service.
  • File proof of service with the court. These forms confirm that the other party is aware of the case.
  • Attend a hearing. How your hearing goes depends on whether you and the other party agree on how to modify the order. If so, you can present your agreement to the court. Otherwise, the judge will hear the details of your case and decide whether to modify your order or not.

Although the process of filing for many types of order modifications is similar, the details may change depending on what type of order you want to modify. For example, if you want to modify a child support order, California Child Support Services (LCSA) may play an active role in the modification case.

Do I Need a Lawyer for a Custody or Child Support Modification?

At Feinberg & Waller, APC, our Calabasas modifications lawyers have more than a decade of experience helping navigate child custody and child support modification in California.

Schedule a consultation with our team! Contact us online or via phone
at (844) 252-1140. With offices in Beverly Hills, Calabasas, and Westlake Village, our custody and child support modification attorneys are here to help.

Recent Testimonials

Read What Past Clients Had to Say
  • “Mr. Waller was extremely helpful and took the time to answer all my questions. During these Covid times, I really wanted more than just a phone call conversation, he was very accommodating and took ...”

    - Verified Client Posted Review
  • “He has excellence in professionalism, knowledge, and promptness. He is very kind and wise.”

    - Verified Client Posted Review
  • “Marshall and the entire staff at the firm were extremely professional and sensitive to my needs during a very lengthy divorce process.”

    - Verified Client Posted Review
  • “Mrs. Salinas is a fighter, a hard worker and someone that you want on your team. She worked very hard for me and I am so glad I found her.”

    - Verified Client Posted Review
  • “He kept me informed each step of the way and was available to answer questions when needed. During such a stressful time, it was a relief to have someone of Marshall’s caliber in my corner.”

    - Verified Client Posted Review

What Makes Feinberg & Waller, APC Different? 

Committed to Each & Every Case
  • Certified Family Law Specialists

    We have three certified family law specialists on our team. A certified family law specialist must pass a rigorous exam, fulfill mandated ongoing educational requirements, been favorably evaluated by peer review, and show at least a five-year focus and proficiency in family law.

  • Team Approach

    At Feinberg & Waller, APC all the attorneys attend monthly team performance strategic planning sessions to execute and deploy tactical case management objectives. Clients receive added value as they are never charged for more than two of the attorneys during these meetings yet the entire team brainstorms on each matter within the firm.

  • Role of the General Counsel

    The office of Feinberg & Waller, APC has a general counsel whose role is to focus on law firm management, corporate governance, and business policy. The litigation attorneys are then able to focus on your matter rather than having to concentrate on running the business aspect of a law firm.

  • Outstanding National and International Reputation

    Firm shareholder, Marshall Waller is a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. He is also a Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers. Fellows are recognized as having advanced skills in family law and are recognized leaders in the field.

Schedule a Divorce and Family Law Consultation

Benefit from Our Legal Experience & Compassionate Counsel
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please enter a message.