Reducing Your Child Support Payments When Unemployed

Child support is based on the assumption that paying parents have enough income to support both themselves and their children. But what if parents who once could pay support experience a drastically changed economic situation? What if they are now struggling just to support themselves? Child support payments can be modified to reflect a parent's changed income. The most common of these changes is job loss.

If a parent paying child support experiences a job loss, she can ask the court to reduce her support payments. Similarly, if the parent receiving support suffers a job loss he can request an increase in support. A court may lower or raise child support payments as circumstances require. Be aware that when changes are successfully made to a child-support agreement, these changes apply to future payments only. The spouse who received payments in the past will not be forced to return payments already received.

In addition, a modified ruling on child support is not set in stone. A parent who formerly received payments can challenge the validity of the other parent's unemployment or underemployment status. A vocational examiner can assess the job skills of the party in question and thereby prove his or her ability to find a job and earn a certain level of income. If it can be proven that the spouse who paid child support is "employable," the reduced payments may be called into question. The best way to ensure fairness in child support matters is to seek professional legal advice. Good advice can save a divorced parent thousands of dollars and relieve the stress of job loss.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Us for a Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Contact Information

Feinberg & Waller, APC
23501 Park Sorrento
Calabasas, CA 91302

Phone: 818-462-8408
Map & Directions

Feinberg & Waller, APC
433 N Camden Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Phone: 818-462-8408
Map & Directions

Click to View Offices