Beverly Hills Domestic Violence Attorney
Helping Clients Break the Cycle of Abuse
Sadly, abusive relationships are particularly hard to escape. And while they are most difficult for the victim, they can also impact others — especially if there are children involved.
If you have become a victim of domestic violence, our experienced lawyers want to help. At Feinberg & Waller, APC, we help victims break the cycle of abuse. We know how harmful, disorienting, and terrifying domestic violence and abuse can be, which is why we work so hard to help our clients out of it.
When you’re ready, call (310) 945-2727 to learn more about how we can help in a confidential consultation.
What Is Domestic Violence?
Under California law, “domestic violence” refers to a type of abuse perpetrated against someone within your domestic circle:
- Married spouse
- Unmarried partner
- Ex-spouse or ex-partner
- Girlfriend or boyfriend
- Parent, sibling, aunt/uncle, or other blood relative
- Stepparents and others related by marriage
- Adoptive family
Anyone can be the victim of domestic abuse. It is never the victim’s fault.
Types of Domestic Abuse
When most people think of domestic abuse, they think of physical violence. Physical abuse is certainly a type of domestic abuse, but it isn’t the only kind.
Domestic violence includes but is not limited to:
- Punching, hitting, kicking, slapping, or other physical harm
- Emotional abuse and manipulation
- Threatening to harm others, especially your loved ones
- Stalking and harassment
- Sexual abuse and assault, from nonconsensual kissing to completed rape
- Coercive control, which involves isolating the victim and depriving them of food, water, clothing, birth control (reproductive coercion). The point of coercive control is to frighten or punish the victim through humiliation, intimidation, threats, and/or assault.
How to Spot Domestic Violence and Abuse
It can be difficult to spot domestic violence, especially when you are the victim. Knowing about the cycle of abuse can help victims identify domestic violence. It can also help their loved ones understand why it’s so hard to leave an abusive relationship.
The four stages of the cycle of abuse are:
- Tension building: This is when the tension builds before the abusive act. It can feel like you are walking on eggshells, or doing anything you can to try to avoid an argument. You may feel fearful, notice a lack of communication from the abuser, etc.
- Incident: The incident is the act of domestic violence itself — physical abuse, emotional abuse, verbal abuse, etc.
- Reconciliation: This is when the abuser tries to reconcile with the victim, such as by making excuses, blaming the victim, pretending the abuse never even happened, or apologizing.
- Calm: Also known as the honeymoon phase, the calm stage is when the relationship seems like a happy one — that is, until the cycle of abuse starts all over again.
If this sounds familiar to you, know you aren’t alone. In addition to getting an attorney, you may find it helpful to call the National Domestic Violence Hotline.
How Our Family Law Firm Can Help
At Feinberg & Waller, APC, our Beverly Hills domestic violence attorneys help victims navigate:
- Leaving or divorcing an abusive partner;
- Protecting their children from the abuser, such as with a new or modified child custody order;
- Getting a domestic violence restraining order (DVRO);
- Enforcing or challenging a prenuptial/postnuptial agreement;
- And more!
Our team will tailor our approach to your specific case. We take great care to support victims at every single step of the way, making their and their children’s safety a top priority.
Contact a Beverly Hills domestic violence lawyer online for compassionate legal help. We serve clients throughout Los Angeles County and across Southern California.
Recent TestimonialsRead What Past Clients Had to Say
What Makes Feinberg & Waller, APC Different?Committed to Each & Every Case
Certified Family Law Specialists
We have three certified family law specialists on our team. Attorneys wishing to become family law specialists must pass a rigorous examination in the field of family law, fulfill mandated ongoing educational requirements, been favorably evaluated by peer review, and show at least a five-year focus and proficiency in family law.
At Feinberg & Waller, APC, the power of our entire team is behind you. As one or two lawyers oversee the fine details of each case, our clients further benefit from practice-wide strategic planning sessions. During these sessions every partner and associate brainstorms together to execute and deploy tactical case objectives, providing clients with an added value beyond the standard lawyer/client arrangement.
Outstanding National and International Reputation
Firm shareholder, Marshall Waller is a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. He is also a Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers. Fellows are recognized as having advanced skills in family law and are recognized leaders in the field.
Role of the General Counsel
The office of Feinberg & Waller, APC has a general counsel whose role is to focus on law firm management, corporate governance, and business policy. The litigation attorneys are then able to focus on your matter rather than having to concentrate on running the business aspect of a law firm.
Intake ProcessTo simplify your experience in finding the right attorney, here is the Intake Process so you know what
to expect when calling our office.
Our Intake Process helps us determine if we can handle your matter while managing the needs of our existing clients.
Our Case Intake manager will ask you basic questions. Feinberg & Waller, APC limits the number of cases we accept because we’ve found that selectivity advances our commitment to excellence.
After the intake process, we run a conflict check to make sure we have not spoken with the other party in your matter in the past. If we determine that there is no conflict, our case intake manager will go over the range in fees , from our Paralegals at $195/hr, to our Associate Attorneys starting at $250/hr, and our Certified Family Law Specialists (CFLS) starting at $495/hr.
We will schedule your consultation with one of Feinberg & Waller, APC Certified Family Law Specialists. A CFLS has gone through a rigorous process of proven qualifications. If you find yourself in the position where you need to speak to an attorney immediately, you may schedule an initial consultation with Marshall Waller through our "Schedule Consultation" links.