Sadly, abusive relationships are particularly hard to escape. And while they are most difficult for the victim, they can also impact others — especially if there are children involved.
If you have become a victim of domestic violence, our experienced lawyers want to help. At Feinberg & Waller, APC, we help victims break the cycle of abuse. We know how harmful, disorienting, and terrifying domestic violence and abuse can be, which is why we work so hard to help our clients out of it.
What Is Domestic Violence?
Under California law, “domestic violence” refers to a type of abuse perpetrated against someone within your domestic circle:
- Married spouse
- Unmarried partner
- Ex-spouse or ex-partner
- Girlfriend or boyfriend
- Parent, sibling, aunt/uncle, or other blood relative
- Stepparents and others related by marriage
- Adoptive family
Anyone can be the victim of domestic abuse. It is never the victim’s fault.
Types of Domestic Abuse in CA
When most people think of domestic abuse, they think of physical violence. Physical abuse is certainly a type of domestic abuse, but it isn’t the only kind.
Domestic violence includes but is not limited to:
- Punching, hitting, kicking, slapping, or other physical harm
- Emotional abuse and manipulation
- Threatening to harm others, especially your loved ones
- Stalking and harassment
- Sexual abuse and assault, from nonconsensual kissing to completed rape
- Coercive control, which involves isolating the victim and depriving them of food, water, clothing, birth control (reproductive coercion). The point of coercive control is to frighten or punish the victim through humiliation, intimidation, threats, and/or assault.
How to Spot Domestic Violence and Abuse
It can be difficult to spot domestic violence, especially when you are the victim. Knowing about the cycle of abuse can help victims identify domestic violence. It can also help their loved ones understand why it’s so hard to leave an abusive relationship.
The four stages of the cycle of abuse are:
- Tension building: This is when the tension builds before the abusive act. It can feel like you are walking on eggshells, or doing anything you can to try to avoid an argument. You may feel fearful, notice a lack of communication from the abuser, etc.
- Incident: The incident is the act of domestic violence itself — physical abuse, emotional abuse, verbal abuse, etc.
- Reconciliation: This is when the abuser tries to reconcile with the victim, such as by making excuses, blaming the victim, pretending the abuse never even happened, or apologizing.
- Calm: Also known as the honeymoon phase, the calm stage is when the relationship seems like a happy one — that is, until the cycle of abuse starts all over again.
If this sounds familiar to you, know you aren’t alone. In addition to getting an attorney, you may find it helpful to call the National Domestic Violence Hotline.
Should I Hire a Domestic Violence Lawyer in California?
If you're dealing with a domestic violence situation in California, it's highly recommended that you consult with an experienced domestic violence lawyer. There can be significant differences in the outcome of domestic violence cases when you have a knowledgeable attorney on your side.
Here are some reasons why you might consider hiring a Beverly Hills domestic violence lawyer:
- Understanding of the Law: Domestic violence laws vary by state, and California has specific laws and regulations related to domestic violence. A qualified lawyer will have a deep understanding of these laws and how they apply to your situation.
- Legal Process: Navigating the legal process can be challenging, especially if you're unfamiliar with legal procedures. By working with a lawyer, you can ensure that all deadlines are met and the correct procedures are followed throughout the process.
- Protection and Advocacy: A lawyer can help protect your rights and advocate on your behalf. They can help you understand the legal options available to you, whether you're the victim or the accused.
- Evidence and Defense Strategy: For those accused of domestic violence, a lawyer can help build a strong defense strategy. They can review evidence, interview witnesses, and try to minimize the potential consequences.
- Emotional Support: Dealing with domestic violence cases can be emotionally draining. A lawyer can provide professional support and help you stay focused on the legal aspects of the case.
- Negotiation and Settlement: In some cases, it may be possible to reach a settlement or plea agreement. A lawyer can negotiate on your behalf to achieve the best possible outcome.
- Court Representation: Having an attorney represent you in court is crucial if your case goes to trial. They can present your case effectively and advocate for your interests.
Keep in mind that every case is unique, so it's important to consult with a legal professional to discuss the specifics of your situation. A qualified Beverly Hills domestic violence lawyer can help you understand your options and make an informed decision about whether to hire legal representation if you are facing domestic violence-related issues in California.
How Our Beverly Hills Domestic Violence Lawyer Can Help
At Feinberg & Waller, APC, our Beverly Hills domestic violence attorneys help victims navigate:
- Leaving or divorcing an abusive partner;
- Protecting their children from the abuser, such as with a new or modified child custody order;
- Getting a domestic violence restraining order (DVRO);
- Enforcing or challenging a prenuptial/postnuptial agreement;
- And more!
Our team will tailor our approach to your specific family law case. We take great care to support victims at every single step of the way, making their and their children’s safety a top priority.
Contact our Beverly Hills domestic violence attorney online for compassionate legal help. We serve clients throughout Los Angeles County and across Southern California.
"Capable, attentive, and effective attorneys and staff who have gone above and beyond for our family! Superior expertise and strategy from Adina Rosenfeld and Marshall W. Waller."Verified Client Review
"The people of Feinberg & Waller, APC are consummate experts and truly care about their clients. While the topic is difficult and emotionally charged, they were able to explain things in terms that are easy to follow, ethically and reasonably motivated."Verified Client Posted Review
Marshall is a trusted advisor and delivers exceptional, quality service.Verified Business Referral Source